Portsmouth striker Kanu believes he will be entitled to a new contract provided he makes an appearance in his club's final match at Wigan on Sunday.
With 15 players out of contract this summer, cash-strapped Pompey are expected to make radical cuts.
But Kanu, 32, believes 25 appearances will guarantee him a new deal.
"I'm qualified for another contract. That is what it says in this contract and hopefully I will be here next year because that is what I want," he said.
"I love the club, playing for the best supporters there are."
Alexandre Gaydamak's decision to make no more personal investment in the club appears to have starved Portsmouth of the necessary funds to keep its high-profile players.
Captain Sol Campbell, midfielder Sean Davis and defender Hermann Hreidarsson are among those with uncertain futures even if, as Pompey executive chairman Peter Storrie has predicted, the club will have new financiers in July.
Kanu was the scorer of the only goal in last year's FA Cup final win. And though he has made only five starts this season, he has been a regular substitute - totting up the matches he feels he needs to guarantee a fresh deal.
Pompey declined to comment on the terms of Kanu's deal and Nigeria international's agent and lawyer Samuel Okoronkwo said: "It would not be ethical for me to discuss it."
Also in the news
Lagos organiser slams U-17
Yomi Dada the vice-chairman of the Lagos organising committee for the Under-17 World Cup is angry that Nigeria face losing the right to host the event.
Lagos and Abuja were the only two cities deemed ready by football's world governing body Fifa to host the event, which starts in October.
A recent inspection team led by Fifa vice-president Jack Warner has proposed that four other cities are given a month to make the necessary improvements or Nigeria will lose the right to host the event.
Dada says the main Local Organising Committee (LOC) should take responsibility and be disbanded.
"This is an indictment on our government at the national level and the national LOC should be disbanded, it's as simple as that," he told the BBC.
"They don't have a conscience, they aren't ashamed.
"Most good people would tender their resignation, we don't have the shame here, we will continue to applaud ourselves and carry on with business as usual."
He was also sceptical as to whether the other venues in Nigeria will be ready even if they are given an extra month.
"I'm not going to say that [Nigeria will be ready] because the man told us one month and I can assure you that a lot of them won't make that one month," he added.
He also had some advice for the other venues hoping to be ready to host the tournament.
"Come to Lagos, we will teach you how we did it - come to Lagos we have the standards," he said.
"There's nothing magic about this, it's not rocket science, we can do it."
The Nigeria Football Federation and the LOC say they need to study Fifa's findings before they can comment.
Source: BBC sports